Dark Colors make Bold Statement
Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Greenbrook Design, managing day to day operations, marketing, sourcing product and keeping the showroom beautifully designed. Stacey also does interior design & home styling for a select number of clients. Find out more about Stacey here.
Contrast is a design element that is used often since it makes a statement, creates visual interest, and provides a touch of elegance to the space. White and Black, dark mixed with warm metals like gold, copper, and brass. Many interior designers are choosing to use this tool and these color combinations more in their creations and it seems that this trend is only increasing in popularity. Let’s explore the different ways you can add dark colors to your space balanced with enough light to make a beautiful presentation in your home both you and your guests will enjoy.
The purpose of contrast is to draw attention to certain features and highlight special areas in the design. Contrast also has the ability to organize the area and develop a design hierarchy by guiding the eye to certain items, or focal points. The stronger the contrast the greater the emphasis. Here are a few additional tips.
A Balancing Act
While contrast is a beautiful thing it still requires a correct balance. If it leans heavy in either direction it produces the opposite effect. Too much dark color and the space can become too heavy and a lean toward light can leave the room feeling empty. Here are some tips to creating a unified design:
- Dividing the wall color – painting the upper wall and lower two different colors, with the darker on bottom can create a stunning effect for the room.
- Mix materials – dark metal lamps with light shades, a dark couch with bright pillows rich in texture, art pieces with a darker palette against a white wall, or wood accents.
- Include light – this is good because it adds warmth to the space especially in the evening.
- Little things – hardware and plumbing are an easy way to add a pop without overdoing it.
Contrast, when done right creates a design that captivates the eye. See how we accomplished this goal in this design project. Explore places like Pinterest to find inspiration photos you can bring to your design meeting.
There are many benefits to choosing to use contrast in your design, here are a few of our favorites:
- Size control – by using the colors correctly you can add or condense the feel of a room. Painting a ceiling and even the walls dark tend to make it feel cozier while light walls open a small space up.
- Focal points – have specific items in the home that you want to highlight? Placing them against a strong contrast immediately draws the eye to them.
- Visual interest – natural wood floating shelves set against with dark or light backsplash makes for amazing visual interest in the design.
- Bold – Bright patterns can make a strong statement and create a fun touch to the space.
The possibilities are endless and the choices abundant. There are many ways to design a space using contrast meaning whatever your style it can be accomplished.
Contrast is trending
2021 is more than just a new year, it is a new opportunity to create a space that is just right for you. The element of contrast is on the rise and set to be a popular choice for the coming year so why not get a head start for your renovation. Talk with one of our experienced designers and let’s get busy designing a space that is a reflection of you and your unique style.
Visit Us in Historic Shelby
112 N. Lafayette St., Shelby, NC
Call & schedule a showroom tour!