How to Choose Your Kitchen Appliance?
What is best for your home?
Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Greenbrook Design, managing day to day operations, marketing, sourcing product and keeping the showroom beautifully designed. Stacey also does interior design & home styling for a select number of clients. Find out more about Stacey here.
You have been dreaming of a new kitchen for a while and now the decision has been made to finally bring it to life. Cabinets, lights, faucets, tile, and flooring are all on your to-do list, but what about the kitchen appliances? Have you thought about whether you want a double oven? Two dishwashers? Maybe you want a wide refrigerator or a separate beverage cooler or wine fridge? The choice for which appliances you need comes from what is important to you and what will suit your lifestyle. We will share some of our best tips regarding which appliances are the best choice based on your specific needs.
Kitchen Appliances: Oven
This is the one appliance that yields the greatest results, hot meals but it may be hard to know exactly which one is right for you. Here are a few things to consider when starting your search.
- Size: While the average size is between 27 and 30 inches in width, you can find custom sizes but this all depends on your kitchen layout. For a small area consider choosing a narrow oven since this will leave more room for cabinets, but if you have a large area you have options for an oven that can even include a griddle.
- Placement: There are several options for where to place the oven including the island, main area, or even in the wall. There are several factors to consider when choosing one of these placements such as would you rather have it near the sink to keep things clean or maybe you want it on the island so there is plenty of prep space. Talk through your options with your designer to make sure the best choice is made.
- Color: Standard colors offered include white, black, and stainless steel. These are great selections but don’t be afraid to make a statement with a custom color like blue or even a bold red. It can turn your oven into a beautiful focal point.
- Budget: This is an important part of the process and deserves a bit of thought. Prices will range from the basic $350 to the more elaborate $3,500 end and up. How often you use it, and what you will be making are two factors to consider when nailing down a budget.
- Style: Looking to have that griddle to make those Saturday morning breakfasts or maybe you want a gas instead of an electric? Steam and convection ovens are another option that can make baking and reheating leftovers super easy. Write down some things that are a must for you and talk with your designer.
The oven is a central part of the kitchen and plays a part in bringing your family that perfect meal so it deserves some serious consideration and thought.
Kitchen Appliances: Refrigerator
Known by many names including the “icebox” and the classic, “fridge”, this appliance is probably the most visited in the kitchen. It has evolved from a basic box used to keep items cold into a trendy statement through the use of color and new smart technology. There are multiple styles including double doors, freezer drawers, and a sleek stainless steel finish.
Choosing the one that is best for you involves thinking about the size of your family and the amount of space needed to store your items. If you shop weekly then a smaller one may be an option unless you have a large family. Something else to consider is how visible you want it to be. Are you wanting it to be part of the design by choosing a color that works well with the style and aesthetic of the space or were you wanting to hide it away behind a panel? Both are great options and can work well with the design you choose, but it is important to think about this before purchasing the refrigerator since it can alter your design.
Be sure to mention any questions you have to your designer as they will be able to address them and help you navigate through all of the options and find you what is best for you.
Kitchen Appliances: Dishwasher
If there is one thing we can all agree on it’s the fact that no one really enjoys doing dishes. We are grateful for the invention of the dishwasher and the tremendous help it has been to individuals everywhere. Here is our list of things to consider when compiling your list of must-haves.
- Noise: while the convenience of the dishwasher is wonderful the noise that can accompany it is not so wonderful especially with open floor plans where all can be heard easily. Consider choosing one that runs with a volume below 55db.
- Amount: one dishwasher has been the standard for forever but more and more homeowners are installing two which makes it super easy to unload. Simply put in your dirty dishes, run the dishwasher, use as needed while placing the new dirty dishes in the second dishwasher. You can go back and forth between the two with no more hassle.
- Placement: do you prefer having the dishwasher next to the sink or maybe it’s easier to have it behind you on the island? Knowing your routine and preferences can help you know where to place it and make your daily routines simple.
- Options: water pressure, cycle selections, temperature, drying options and more are what’s available now. Whether you want to go more eco-friendly by using less water or have the ability to go longer on the dry cycle there is a choice for that now.
It is nice to have a variety of selections available to you when it comes to dishwashers so be sure to take time to look at at least a few. Here are a few additional things to consider when choosing these kitchen appliances.
Do you enjoy having a cold soda, bottled water, or wine chilled to perfection? Sometimes this is not achievable with a standard refrigerator, at least not without robbing you of precious space. Including a beverage center or wine cooler in your design can help you get exactly what you need for everyone.
- Why a wine cooler? Wine needs to be kept at a specific temperature and humidity level, neither of which a refrigerator can maintain without ruining everything else in it. The coolers are designed to keep your wine in the perfect form always ready to be enjoyed.
- Why a beverage center? This is a great option for those who enjoy having specialty drinks or want to keep them cold instead of just stored in the pantry. Since they can rob you of space in the refrigerator, it is a great option plus it allows everyone to have easy access whenever they need it.
Whether it is a wine cooler or beverage center, these are a great option that gives everyone what they need at a convenient location.
Kitchen appliances and more
Our experienced design team is here to help and guide you through every part of the renovation journey including the selection process. Even though we do not sell appliances in our showroom, your selected appliances for your new kitchen design can be incorporated into your renderings due to our knowledge and expertise. Our goal is to get you exactly what you need, what fits your lifestyle, and that includes kitchen appliances. Check out this project we did for a rustic hunting lodge that had all the appliances they needed that suited their design style. Also, come visit our showroom where we have several examples and you are free to ask any questions you may have. Together let’s create a kitchen that is absolutely perfect for you in every way.
Visit Us in Historic Shelby
112 N. Lafayette St., Shelby, NC
Call & schedule a showroom tour!