What is a Murphy Bed?
Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Greenbrook Design, managing day to day operations, marketing, sourcing product and keeping the showroom beautifully designed. Stacey also does interior design & home styling for a select number of clients. Find out more about Stacey here.
When space is limited, it is valuable and greater thought is invested in creating a design that maximizes square footage in order to provide a place that is functional for the homeowner. Both manufacturers and designers alike are continuously thinking of new ways to give their clients the things they need but using less space. One such item is the murphy bed, yes the one used in multiple comedy routines, but it has evolved into a stylish piece yet remains as functional as ever. It is also comparable in price point to a traditional bed. Could the murphy bed be the solution to your limited space problem? Let’s unpack exactly what it is and how it can help give you additional room in your home.
What is a Murphy bed?
This is the first question that needs to be answered. Dating back to 1911, the bed is named after its inventor William L. Murphy who was looking to maximize the space in his small studio apartment. By designing a bed that tucked neatly into the wall, Murphy was able to use the space as needed during the day and pull out the bed in the evening. Due to a rise in minimal living and small houses, the murphy beds are gaining in popularity once more.
Is a Murphy bed safe?
While we all get a laugh out of cartoons where the character finds themselves stuck between the wall and their mattress, safety is no laughing matter. Since it folds into the wall there are those who have concerns about the safety of the Murphy bed, but there is no need to worry, proper installation means the bed will perform as it was designed. Also, when laying on the bed, your body weight ensures that it stays in place. Mounting it correctly to the wall also means that the bed will not fold down on top of you. Designed to fold away when not in use means that there are several hinges in a murphy bed called pinch points. When the bed is lowered ensure that these hinges are locked in place before using the bed. Be sure to read and follow the assembly and installation directions or you can hire professionals to have it done. Read more about safety here.
How comfortable is a Murphy bed?
Comfort matters especially when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep. One might have a tendency to put the murphy bed in the same group as a sleeper couch. The comfort level is ultimately determined by the type of mattress used. When looking to purchase a mattress it is best to consider who will be using the bed and how long. Children will not need as deep a mattress as those who are older. If it will be used as a guest bed on occasion the quality of mattress might be less since it is for one to two nights, however if this is meant to become your permanent bed you might want to invest in a good, supportive mattress.
Choosing a Murphy bed
When preparing to select your murphy bed there are a few things that should be taken into consideration before making your final choice.
- Purpose: the goal of a Murphy bed is to sleep on it but it is not intended to be used all day so think about what other functions it can serve in the room such as storage.
- Layout: the size of the room will determine how long of a bed and which wall will best suit it. Decide whether a vertical or horizontal bed will work better.
- Durability: a Murphy bed is not something that you will want to change out every few years so take the time to look around and get the one with the best reviews.
- Style: choose a bed that will match the style and design of your home. Some allow you the option to choose different finishes and colors.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and read reviews from other clients before making your final selection, you should feel confident in your choice.
Benefits of having a Murphy bed
While the most obvious is a convenient place to sleep when guests come over, there are several reasons why having a Murphy bed is beneficial.
- Storage: these beds have the ability to become bookshelves or storage areas when tucked inside the wall. Looking to store some extra books, games, or shoes? The answer can be found right inside the wall.
- Convenience: for those living in small homes, having the luxury of a bed that can be folded away makes it super easy not to mention no need to make the bed every day.
- More room: tight quarters mean space that is used to the fullest potential and that is what the Murphy bed provides. More floor space is available because it is neatly put inside the wall. It is also great for children when the rooms are small, it gives them a broader play area.
- Functional: when a space can serve more than one purpose it is a great asset to the home. When the bed is not in use, the area can be used for other things such as an office space or entertainment area for guests.
- Custom: it’s not often you can customize a bed to your specifications and even include extras like shelving and storage.
A Murphy bed is more than just a place to put guests for the night, it can give a whole new meaning to your space and maximize it at the same time.
Are you ready?
Our dedicated design team is ready to help you find that extra space needed to make your home the best it can be. We are proud to service over 16 counties but are not limited. Please give us a call and let us help you create a home that is functional and perfectly suited to your unique lifestyle needs. Let’s start planning together.
Visit Us in Historic Shelby
112 N. Lafayette St., Shelby, NC
Call & schedule a showroom tour!