Outside: the new inside
Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Greenbrook Design, managing day to day operations, marketing, sourcing product and keeping the showroom beautifully designed. Stacey also does interior design & home styling for a select number of clients. Find out more about Stacey here.
Warmer weather is just around the corner meaning we can finally spend more time outside doing what love like grilling, swimming, and fire pits. One thing that all of these have in common is that they can do in your own backyard. Outdoor spaces are trending this year and for good reason since they provide a change of scenery for homeowners without having to drive somewhere plus it adds more usable space to your home. Enjoy fresh air, cool summer nights, and time with family all within the safety of your own home. Here are a few reasons and benefits to adding or upgrading your outdoor space.
Health is everyone’s number one priority and none more than your families. According to Forbes “even just 20 minutes per day spent in nature can lower stress hormone levels, boost self-esteem and improve mood.” Having access to your own outdoor space allows you a safe place to relax at the end of the day and catch your breath. Some of the health benefits of an outdoor living space include:
- Relaxes the eyes: we are a society that spends multiple hours a day staring at screens like computers and phones, which is known to strain the eye. Taking the time to sit outside allows your eyes to rest and simply soak in the calm beauty of nature. There is a bonus benefit for the eyes when you spend time outside. The color green absorbs harmful UV rays of strong light and reduces glare meaning that the beautiful scenery can eliminate fatigue in the eyes.
- Reduces stress: this is a pretty common feeling among most people as they rush to meet deadlines, make that meeting, and draft that new proposal. Studies show that stepping outside eases the stress and tension of the body as you relax in the open space and fresh breeze of nature. Depression can lift as you bathe in the warm sunshine too.
- Reboots the body: our immune system is critical to our health so it’s important to take care of it and spending some time outside can help. Enjoying the beauty and refreshment of nature can lower blood pressure and give you a boost to help fight off colds.
Having an outdoor space means you have quick access to nature’s wellness and can take advantage of it whenever you need it. Read more benefits here.
Increase home value
We all know that square footage is an important part of the home and having an outdoor living space adds more usable space which isn’t just good for your family but for you if you ever choose to sell. Consider these when designing your outdoor space.
- Kitchen: there are multiple benefits to having an outdoor kitchen especially in summer when the heat is on. Having your cooking area outside means less heat in the house saving money on your utility bill. and less smoke. Plus it allows you to enjoy the fresh air and host gatherings where everyone can spread out comfortably.
- Fire pit: so many people enjoy a quiet evening with family making smores or roasting hot dogs around the fire pit. It is also the perfect place to relax in the evening with friends and make memories.
- Pergola: this is a great option since it not only creates the perfect location to eat outside but also gives shade so you enjoy nature while still protected.
Including practical areas in your outdoor living space sets your home apart from the rest and can give you a seller’s edge when you list your home. Check out this beautiful home in Charlotte that added an outdoor living space.
This is what many people think of when an outdoor living space is mentioned and usually the main purpose in adding it to the home. Designing a place where the family can safely and conveniently hang out means unlimited fun and relaxation. Here are a few ideas to spark your creativity.
- Seating area: including a spot where people can gather around and sit provides the perfect environment for conversation and fun times. Add a TV and turn it into the perfect place to watch those sports events with friends or host a watch party.
- Pool zone: warm weather equals pool parties and having an area where people can take a breather from the water makes for a nice combination. It also means that those who would prefer to just watch have a place to simply relax in their own way but feel included.
- Grilling station: backyards and grilling go hand in hand as if they were made for each other. Adding this to your outdoor space ensures a future of delicious food served for family dinner or impulsive get togethers with friends.
When you can have a great time but without having to pack up everyone, drive somewhere, and stand in line that equals a win. Outdoor living spaces allow you to do just that within the safety of your own home.
An outdoor living space means you can enjoy many of the same activities you do inside, eating dinner, watching movies, play games, but with the benefit of fresh air and more space. This addition to the home is trending and if you are looking to enjoy one this summer you will need to begin your design phase now since the lead times can vary due to other projects already in progress for current clients. We look forward to working with you and helping you create an outdoor space that allows you to take the inside outside.
Visit Us in Historic Shelby
112 N. Lafayette St., Shelby, NC
Call & schedule a showroom tour!