Should I do a soaker tub or walk-in shower?
Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Greenbrook Design, managing day to day operations, marketing, sourcing product and keeping the showroom beautifully designed. Stacey also does interior design & home styling for a select number of clients. Find out more about Stacey here.
The master bathroom is considered a special retreat for the owners, a place of relaxation. Over the years the design has changed from a garden tub and shower combo to walk-in showers and soaker tubs. Some wonder if both are needed or is one more essential than the other. We want to explore the pros and cons of each and help you know which one is the best fit for you, or if you should have both.
Why choose a soaker tub? True, a bath takes much longer than a shower but it is also one of the best ways to unwind from the stress of the day and completely relax the body. Soaker tubs are perfect for this but here are a few things to think about when shopping for one.
- Depth: because it is designed for soaking, these tubs are deeper than the average one. 14 inches in the minimum and go up from there so that you can find one that suits your exact needs.
- Style: there are multiple styles available for your soaker tub including the elegant Elizabethan age and the classic bowl look. The feet can also be a fun pop such as the claw foot or brass. An array of shapes are available as well including the more traditional oval and round but square, hourglass, and even slipper are also on the table.
- Material: From natural stone to acrylic, there are a lot of options available depending on your style, budget, and space.
- Budget: Price will depend on size and material but often they begin at $700. Look around for inspiration pictures before talking to your designer so they have an idea of what you want and can help you find the best price.
Soaker tubs are a great option for the master bathroom, they add elegance and an opportunity to have a spa-like atmosphere. It is a great option that can add value to your home as well. Get a few more design tips here.
What are the benefits of a walk-in shower? They are easy to clean, efficient, and flexible in size. Let’s talk about both the pros and cons of having a walk-in shower.
- Style: there are so many great ways to express your personality in the design, from beautiful tile to fun shower heads, the possibilities are endless.
- Aging in place: one big benefit to a walk-in shower is that it is always easy to get in and out of versus a tub may prove difficult over time due to having to step into it.
- Size: whether you have a small bathroom or lots of space to play with, the walk-in shower is flexible and adaptable. It can be tucked away neatly in the corner and only attached to one wall with the other three encased in glass or a pony wall. Whatever the size this is the shower that can go with the flow.
- Placement: as with size this option can be placed anywhere it needs to be making it an asset in the design phase.
There are a few downsides to having a walk-in shower such as:
- Temperature: it can feel a bit cooler since there is no shower curtain to block the breeze.
- Humidity: there is nothing hindering the steam from leaving the shower so be sure to install a fan that can be run afterward to help prevent a build-up of mold.
- Privacy: of course this is rather obvious but if you are one that likes to take a shower with the peace of mind that no matter if a family member surprises you or not this can be a deterrent for some people.
Be sure to weigh out your options before making your choice, there is no right or wrong answer, this is your home and you get to decide what you want.
Best of both worlds
Many of our clients have chosen to include both a walk-in shower and soaker tub into their design. This is a great option as it provides the best of both worlds into their master sanctuary. Whether they need a quick shower before the day starts or have time to enjoy a relaxing soak in the tub on the weekend it is a great option to consider. Talk to your designer about what can be done with the space that you have so you can get the best possible design.
Ready to take the plunge?
We are here to help you achieve a space that is perfectly suited for you in every way. Feel free to browse our bathroom project gallery to see some of the amazing work we have done for our clients and find the inspiration you need for your own renovation. Contact us with any questions or to schedule an appointment to begin your journey.
Visit Us in Historic Shelby
112 N. Lafayette St., Shelby, NC
Call & schedule a showroom tour!