What is a Tablescape?
Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Greenbrook Design, managing day to day operations, marketing, sourcing product and keeping the showroom beautifully designed. Stacey also does interior design & home styling for a select number of clients. Find out more about Stacey here.
We always say details matter and that goes beyond a project. Your home is filled with details that tell your guests who you are and what matters to you. Artwork, pottery pieces, and furniture are just a few things that give homeowners a chance to show off their style. Another area is hosting and tablescapes have become a beautiful, fun way to share your own unique design choices with family and friends. Whether it is for a small gathering to enjoy time with those you love or celebrating a special occasion there are many ways to create the perfect look. By combining different colors, patterns, or materials, you can be as elaborate or as simple as you want and still create a tablescape that will dazzle your guests.
What is a Tablescape?
A tablescape is simply the term used to describe the pairing of dinnerware with decor or the decor of the table by itself. It is organizing your table in a way that expresses your own creativity. It is meant to voice a particular theme, ambiance, or feeling for everyone who sees it and it is not limited to the dining room table. You can create a beautiful scene on your coffee table, bedroom dresser, and even the fireplace mantle. The goal is to use design to make a setting where people can enjoy the beauty, heighten the guest’s experience, and help them feel at ease. It does not have to be elaborate to achieve these goals, just a touch of you and a dash of hospitality. Read a little more here.
How to create a Tablescape
There are so many ways to form a winning tablescape, from elegant to elaborate, it is completely up to you. There are different themes, styles, and options that can produce exactly what you need and want. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Minimalistic: this does not mean boring and bland, rather it means choosing materials that tend to mimic nature such as wood and glass. Europe 2 You, whom we are authorized dealers for, has a large array of items such as serving boards, woven baskets, glass jars, and wooden bowls that easily make any table look like it belongs in a magazine. We have used many of their pieces on several occasions and they are always a winner.
- Fresh flowers: no matter what style, they always form a great core to build your design around or add the perfect finishing touch to the tablescape. Flowers send a warm invitation to your guests and can help them relax through their beauty so don’t forget to add a little to your next design, local farmer’s markets are a great place to grab some at affordable prices.
- Mix and match: variety brings visual interest to any tablescape including varying materials. Who said that a tablescape had to have matching pieces? Using bamboo plates with textured napkins makes for a fun place setting. Place your beautiful serving dish on a metal holder. Fill pottery vases with fresh flowers or interesting pieces of wire art. Incorporate glass jars that have colored rocks in them and add a little water. All of these different elements will result in a tablescape that is stunning and perfectly you. Mercana is another company that we are authorized dealers for and they have a large collection of items that will make your design stand out!
- Color: there are so many ways to add color to your tablescape. Fabrics used in table runners, napkins, full covers, or even folded and laid across in layers. Accent pieces such as candle holders, napkin rings, greenery, vases, and baskets can add pops of color easily.
- Holidays: often some of the most fun tablescapes come from following a holiday theme and it always makes the event more memorable and enjoyable for everyone!
Looking for inspiration? Pinterest is one great resource for finding a tablescape that is perfect for you and your event. There are multiple interior design bloggers who freely share tips and tricks through their website and social media channels as well. Don’t forget to browse our resources and partners page to see all of the amazing dealers we have available to you.
Come visit us
Every area of your home matters and we are here to assist you in making it look its best even down to the smallest details of your table. Come visit us in our showroom where we have a variety of home decor pieces on display that are available to purchase or if you find something that you like through one of the companies that we are an authorized dealer for, we are happy to place an order for you. We look forward to helping you make your house your home.
Visit Us in Historic Shelby
112 N. Lafayette St., Shelby, NC
Call & schedule a showroom tour!