What is Grand Millennial Style?
Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Greenbrook Design, managing day to day operations, marketing, sourcing product and keeping the showroom beautifully designed. Stacey also does interior design & home styling for a select number of clients. Find out more about Stacey here.
Old meets new to create a blend of something beautiful, that is one way to summarize grand millennial style. While minializim is still a popular trend, many millennials are finding comfort and freedom of expression from their beloved family heritage. Grand millennial is a combination of the new with things of the past like that old wingback chair from grandma’s attic and breathing new life into it through reupholstering it. This style also pairs perfectly with many’s desire to recycle and reduce waste due to taking what is there and repurposing it. Let’s unpack this style a little more and find out if it is right for you.
What is Grand millennial style?
It is upcycling at it’s finest. You take what you have, or more precisely what your parents or grandparents had and give it a face lift, bringing it into the 21st century of convenience. Millennials enjoy browsing through attics, basements, and antique shops to find that perfect piece that can be turned into exactly what they want to make their house feel like home. It is a style that is classy yet functional. Some of the characteristics of this style include:
- Large floral prints. These go well on wallpaper, window treatments and decorative pillows.
- Wicker furniture. A high backed chair in natural tones or clean white adds texture to the space.
- Skirted tables. This is an elegant way to dress up a table, pairing it with a few accessories like old books, china or place settings.
- A medley of colors. Blues, pinks, greens, yellows, and even purples, the options are endless and the result stunning when paired well.
Mixing old and new, traditional with a hint of modern, this is what makes grand millennial grand.
Breaking with tradition.
Countless portfolios from interior designers contain beautiful homes, styled just so, and representational of the current trends. Clean lines, minimal color, and specific layouts. Many millennials today are looking to break with the trends and find a style that is representative of them, of their unique story; the grand millennial style gives them that freedom. You can take that quaint chair you found at the antique store or in grandma’s basement, reupholster it and make it the perfect piece for your home. You can bring back the large prints you think are so fun and pair them with a painting you love. It means you can display that collection you admired when visiting your parents home or have fun with color. Grand millennial means styling your home your way surrounded by what you love. This is a style that speaks to those who have an old soul or cherish the past and want to bring it to the present. It combines what you delight in and gives you the space to express yourself in your home.
How to incorporate the grand millennial style.
With many eager to have this style in their home, it’s easy to get excited and raid the antique stores and vintage shops for furniture, decor items, and accessories. Though this is a style that blends the old with the new we have a few tips and suggestions that can ensure you get the best of both worlds:
- Don’t go overboard, while you may have multiple things to display such as grandma’s china dolls, choosing to showcase only a few helps avoid the cluttered look while staying true to your style.
- Pick a color palette. While there is a wide range of color schemes that fit the grand millennial style it is best not to use them all. Choose a few that you like and that work well together. By doing this you create a warm, unified, and inviting space no matter which room.
- Mixing materials. Wicker and bamboo are both fashionable and acceptable in this style plus they bring warmth and a touch of nature to the design. Warm metals such as gold and brass are also a great additive to the design.
- Toile is a print that goes very well with this style so don’t be afraid to purchase a couch with that pattern. Add a touch of modern by including a mirror with a black matte frame or an abstract painting.
- If you lean more toward the minimalist side this doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy this style. Adding a few upcycled items or a reupholstered chair still brings some of the grand millennial flair into your home.
The possibilities are endless and the designs limitless. This is a style that is meant to be told your way, without clear cut lines of design or layouts. Take the elements you love, combine them together to create a space that makes you feel at home because that is what it is all about.
Tell your story
We are a family owned business which means we cherish the past and all it entails. We also know that everyone is different, that they have a story to tell that is uniquely theirs which means they need unique pieces. This is why we are an authorized dealer for multiple companies that offer a wide range of home decor, furnishings, lighting, hardware, tile, and so much more. We are here to offer you a place where you can find all the necessary elements to tell your story exactly the way you want. Grand millennial is a style rooted in the past with just the right amount of the present to make it perfect and we look forward to helping you find it. Visit our 5,000 square foot showroom, enjoy a complimentary beverage, ask us some questions and even enjoy taking a tour of our beautiful uptown Shelby. You never know what you might find in our city of pleasant living, like Workshop Vintage, a unique antique store located right next door. Together let’s plan a project.
Visit Us in Historic Shelby
112 N. Lafayette St., Shelby, NC
Call & schedule a showroom tour!