What to consider when selecting your lighting and flooring
Post by Stacey Walker. Stacey mostly works behind the scenes for Greenbrook Design, managing day to day operations, marketing, sourcing product and keeping the showroom beautifully designed. Stacey also does interior design & home styling for a select number of clients. Find out more about Stacey here.
Personalization is becoming a hot topic and tends to pop up in multiple fields including interior design. It is important to have a space that is not only functional but representational of your unique style. Design is not made up of just one element but is a beautiful blending of many to create a unified end result.
Though our roots are in custom cabinets, it did not take us long to realize that we needed to expand our inventory to include lighting, flooring, countertops, and hardware. These elements help to complete the look and feel of a design, bringing in that last bit of the reflection of the owners.
Selecting just the right home accents and elements is often a fun process for our clients as it is an opportunity to add a little bit of themselves into the design whether they choose the more traditional piece of hardware or go bolder with a contemporary piece. Each has a place and purpose in the design world so we thought we would discuss a few of them along with the varying options available.
Lighting can play a big part in the atmosphere of a room. Soft lights can create a more relaxing vibe while bright lights give off an energy of their own to the space. Here are a few things to keep in mind when going through the selection process.
- Design: Choose a light that is going to compliment the overall style of the room. It has the ability to put the room in a whole new light so thinking through the overall design is important.
- Budget: Lighting can be expensive. Knowing how much you want to spend on each design element will help make the selection easier. Do you want to spend more on lighting because it is important to you or do you want to divide it evenly among all of the different elements such as hardware and home decor? This is important to have in place so that you can get all that you want from your list.
- Types of lights: Ceiling-mounted fixtures, pendants, chandeliers, and sconces. These are just a few of the options available to you. It is good to talk with a designer who can help you find the perfect type of light that will pair nicely with your overall design style.
- Know the purpose: No two rooms are the same and neither are their needs. For an in-depth look at the specific needs of each room, read this blog posting. Understanding the function of each room will help you know which light is a good fit for your space.
Tile, wood, or laminate? There are several flooring options to choose from and several factors to consider such as moisture, durability, and budget. Each type has its own pros and cons, before making your choice it is important to understand the differences as well as which are important to you and your design.
- Tile is durable, timeless, and low maintenance. Tile can also be good on the budget depending on your selections. Traditionally it has been considered one of the cheaper options available. Water-resistant and eco-friendly are some additional benefits to tile flooring. The downside is that tile flooring is often cold and can be slippery which may not be good for senior homeowners.
- Wood floors bring a touch of nature and add a bit of warmth to the overall feel of the design. They are also durable and easy to clean. Real hardwood floors can also be stripped and restained if you decide you want to change the color scheme of the room or are simply tired of the current hue. Wood floors are a bit on the higher price point and it can also be a noisier option since every sound can be heard when you walk. Wood floors are prob to damage during water leaks that could require replacement.
- Laminate flooring has come a long way and is a great imitation of the real wood flooring. It is considered an eco-friendly choice since it is made to look like wood flooring without actually having to cut down trees. Because it usually comes in planks or tiles and snaps together, installation is a simple process. One other thing to mention is the fact that it cannot be refinished as wood flooring can, so once any damage is done or you tire of the color, the entire floor has to be replaced. With the improvements in laminate over the years, it is more resistant to water damage. Laminate usually has various levels of quality that determine the price.
Countertops are more than just a workspace, they have become a work of art. They come in a variety of materials including granite, quartz, marble, and quartzite that each meet a different need or requirement for your particular lifestyle. More color options are available now meaning that countertops can be a focal point as well as functional. To learn more about the differences in the material choices and which one might be better suited to your lifestyle, you can read our blog here.
The cabinets have been installed, everything looks so good but there is one thing missing, hardware. Hardware is always the finishing touch to cabinets, similar to jewelry. What is unique about these accessories is the fact that they are the most touched. While we will admire our lights and simply walk on our floors without giving a second thought, we will physically touch and use the hardware on our cabinets. They provide more than beauty to our cabinets, they are also functional which means it is important to pick something that works well for you. Read more about hardware in this blog post.
The perfect find
Choosing the accents for your design is something we take seriously here at Greenbrook Design. Whether it is lighting, flooring, or hardware you need, we are here to help you find that perfect accessory that will give your design just the right touch. We invite you to visit our showroom where you can see and touch countless options available for your space.
Visit Us in Historic Shelby
112 N. Lafayette St., Shelby, NC
Call & schedule a showroom tour!